Conventional wisdom says it takes 21 days to establish a new habit. But we’ve flipped that around to offer 21 good habits that can a difference in just one day. Pick a habit, any habit. Try it whenever you’re feeling stuck. Repeat until it sticks.
1. Get clear about what you want and don’t want.
2. Focus on what you want.
3. Avoid bad news and negative people.
4. Put your efforts into what you can control.
5. Let go of what you can’t control.
6. Look for ways to influence things in the direction you want them to go.
7. Step back and look at the bigger picture.
8. Ask yourself what’s really important in the long run.
9. Look for the opportunities.
10. Imagine a creative response.
11. Marshall your resources.
12. Build on your strengths.
13. Engage in practices that keep you strong and centred.
14. Surround yourself with people who love you.
15. Spend time in environments that inspire you.
16. Reflect on your experiences.
17. Track your progress over time.
18. Ask the tough question.
19. Look for the one thing you can do right now to move closer to what you want.
20. Act as if you have what it takes to achieve the things that matter most to you.
21. Dare to believe in yourself.
Yours with creativity and imagination,
p.s. If you’ve read my book Conversations for Power and Possibility, you may recognize these 21 habits as a kind of “Cole’s Notes” summary of the book.